ISO/IEC 17027 accreditation is deemed the most important standard for laboratories worldwide. The laboratory’s quality management system is evaluated by a third party assessor to assure a lab’s technical competence and ability to produce precise and accurate test data.
Labs are assessed on the following criteria:
- Traceability of measurements and calibrations to national standards
- Technical competence of staff
- Maintenance of test equipment
- Quality assurance of test and calibration data
- Validity and appropriateness of test methods
- Appropriate handling and transportation of test items
- Quality of testing environment and sampling
- Accredited labs undergo regular re-assessment to ensure continued compliance and standard of technical expertise. These laboratories are additionally required to participate in proficiency testing programs to demonstrate their competence.